Friday, March 11, 2011

Still having fun!


This oil sketch on paper of a lovely pair of dark bays in harness is an experiment in greens and reds, still using the same limited palette from my last painting session. I was particularly pleased with how the excited expression in the horse on the left came through!


Doing these quick studies on paper helps me to decide if I want to develop them further on a board or canvas--this one is definitely a candidate! My goal at this point is just to relax and enjoy the painting process. Confidence and skill only comes with much practice!
The paintings below are from a trip to Spruce Meadows, one of my favorite places to be each summer. Here one can get close-up with the very best show-jumping horses and riders--a colourful, exciting, and world-famous venue. These paintings are a little more refined, and I have moved to 9"x12" canvas sheets. My brushes are hog bristle filberts, #4, 5 and 6. Same palette, and I'm getting more familiar with the colours I can mix.



3 comments:

Katie Selbee said...

The painting of the bays is my favourite!

Art and Life said...

Beautiful as always, Kim. You're so right about practise!

Texas Ranch For Sale said...

Good job, its simply fascinating. Keep it up your good at it, for sure its your talent.